Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday Night Sate or Satay?

I don't know which spelling is correct, either way it's good eating. Marinade of coconut milk, fish sauce, minced garlic, lime juice. Peanut sauce of coconut milk, fish sauce, minced garlic, ginger and scallion, brown sugar and a splash of lime juice. Russ's had nice whole pineapples on sale so we got two. Cut some of the pineapple into long swizzles for the missus who prefer's a Chi Chi to my Navy Grog.

I found a recipe for Trader Vic's Navy Grog which has Pimento liqueur in it. I ordered a bottle from Reggae Treats along with an overproof rum for future use. The Pimento which is acutally allspice berries is very unique. Never tasted anything like it before. Mindy suggested I try and find some kind of white creme liqueur and make a "pumpkin pie" drink. That might just work!

Trader Vic's Navy Grog was very tasty if a bit overpowered by the allspice (quarter of an ounce is all). But I'm still stuck on a Beachbum Berry's original "Captain Vadrna’s Grog". 2 1/2 ounces Captain Morgan spiced rum, 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice, 3/4 ounce demerara sugar syrup (equal parts demerara sugar and water), 1/2 ounce white grapefruit juice, and a dash of Angostura bitters. I don't like spiced rum so I substitute Appleton Estate V/X.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: