Friday, January 23, 2009

Aloo Mattar Paneer



Potato, Peas and Cheese, a great spicy meal on a cold snowy evening!
I stopped at The Oven on the way home and picked up some samosas and bread to go with tonite's dinner. Indian food is delicious!

Clockwise: cilantro, garlic, habanero chili, peas, potato, onion and tomato. Ginger in the middle.
Cut some paneer into cubes and lightly fry it till golden.
Blend garlic, onion and ginger till it's smooth. Do the same with some cilantro and the tomato. Cook the onion mix in some hot oil till it starts to brown, then add the tomato mix, coriander, cumin, turmeric and paprika. I took Steve's advice and got a bunch of fresh spices from Open Harvest a while back.
Cook this mixture a couple minutes and then add fresh peas, a large diced potato and the cheese. For extra zip, I added the whole habanero that I cut in half. No seeds! I grew a bunch of these little fireballs in 2008 and they are hotter than hell. Cover with 3 cups of water and simmer for a half hour.
Just enough zing from the habanero to clear my sinuses!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good going! You are a man with a wide scope of cooking talents. I can only imagine how long it must have taken you to make that from scratch (including the cheese).

I was watching Bourdain's show the other night when he was in the Azores and the people there all made their own queso fresco. One of these days I'm going to give it a try again, but this time with some salt to add flavor.

You know I have tried before to make the potatoes with cumin and other spices (like samosa stuffing). I'll have to give that a shot too again some day. Cheers!

Chris said...

Thanks Mr. T, this dish wasnt too hard to make. Now the Malai Kofta I made a couple weeks ago, that was an adventure. It was worth it though.

Chicken Dhansak or Makhani this weekend?