Friday, January 23, 2009

Say Cheese!






I've always liked the paneer cheese in Indian food. And after watching Mr. T make some from scratch, I decided to finally jump in. I read up on the process and decided to make two batches. One with lemon juice for the acid and the other with vinegar. They both taste about the same to me.





I brought each half gallon of whole organic milk to 200 degrees while stirring to prevent scorching. I added the acids and gently stirred to get the curds to seperate. I took the pots off the heat and let them sit for ten minutes or so till the separation of curds and whey seemed complete. I drained the whey but saved it to make roti later. If you don't mind the taste, the whey is good for you to drink as well. And you can use it as the curdling agent in your next batch.





I tied up the cheese cloth and let the paneer drain for another 10 minutes. Then I put the cheese ball between two dinner plates and set a heavy pot on top. The flavor is very mild but when added to a dish it absorbs the flavors of the dish and is really good.
Try it, you'll like it!