Sunday, May 17, 2009

Barbeque and Rum, Thanks Trader Vic!



After drinking a lot of "Captain's Grog" the last couple weeks, I thought it was time for something new. I did a bit of reading Saturday and thought a Fog Cutter sounded pretty tasty if not mind numbing with all the booze in one!

Here's Trader Vic's version:
2oz light Puerto Rican rum
1/2oz gin
1oz brandy
1oz orange juice
2oz lemon juice
1/2oz orgeat syrup
1/2oz sherry float

I shook it all with cube ice, poured into a tall glass. It was recommened I overpour the orgeat a little since mine is homeade and not as sweet as the commercial stuff. I omitted the sherry since I simply didn't have any. Next time I will.

I drank two versions, one with Minute Maid orange juice and one with fresh squeezed. Fresh lemon juice in both. The commercial orange juice version was sweeter, almost too sweet. I backed off the orgeat a tad for the fresh o.j. version and it is the winner. Creamy, a little tart and you could really taste the spirits and juices working together.

The Rangpur gin was probably way over the top for these drinks. With it's added lime, ginger and bay leaves, but it was what I had on hand. It's a fine gin either way don't get me wrong.

I whipped up a batch of sweet and smokey barbequed chicken and the combination of the food and the drink was excellent. To quote Trader Vic, "Fog Cutter, hell. After two of these, you won’t even see the stuff ". I agree!

2 comments:

Gene said...

Hi, Chris! Is that the same BBQ chicken recipe you posted a while back? Both look very delish.

Chris said...

Hi Gene, yep same chicken. Just a dry rub, let the bird sit awhile, grill it for 40 minutes.